Beck actuators are built to last under highly abusive conditions
Beck actuators have long been the actuator of choice in the Cement and Lime industry, not only in North America, but also throughout the world. This is due to the ability of Beck actuators to provide accurate and reliable control of process valves, dampers, fluid couplings and diverter gates under extremely harsh conditions of heat, dust and vibration. For years, new plants have been constructed using Beck actuators as original equipment on applications requiring modulating control and open/close service. Plant owners, operating personnel, and OEM’s specify Beck for nearly all systems within the plant.
Cement and Lime plants depend on 100% availability of critical process control equipment. Accurate control is required to efficiently produce a high quality product. All of this is necessary while maintaining compliance with today’s environmental regulations. Beck actuators are built rugged to withstand the harsh operating environment, while at the same time providing accurate control –consistently over time–without the need for periodic maintenance.
Beck actuator applications in cement and lime plants include:
Preheater Valves and Dampers – A common application for Beck actuators are the modulating valves and dampers throughout the preheater tower.
Kiln Combustion Control – Beck actuators are utilized on combustion fuel and air applications including ID and PA fan dampers, fan fluid couplings for speed control, coal mill dampers, and gas and oil control valves.
Clinker Cooler Fan Dampers – Beck actuators are utilized to achieve uniform cooling of the finished product.
Grinding Mill and Finish Mill Diverter/Flop Gates – To control the blending of materials, Beck actuators are used on diverter/flop gates and rotary drum valves.
Baghouse and Dust Collector Dampers – Beck actuators are used on baghouse and dust collector dampers to optimize performance and ensure compliance with strict environmental regulations.
Process Water Valves – Beck has a variety of products for all types of valves; including butterfly, ball and globe valves. Valve/actuator assemblies are delivered for “drop-in” installation.
The Beck Motor: 100% Availability
Beck’s unique motor design makes the precise, reliable performance of the actuators possible. This no burnout motor ensures that the actuator is available 100% of the time. There are no duty cycle limitations typical of most electric actuators, so the actuator performs as the loop requires rather than the loop performing as the actuator permits.
The Beck Motor:
- Reaches full speed and torque in milliseconds and stops in milliseconds, eliminating dead time.
- Provides extremely accurate and repeatable positioning for modulating applications.
- Will not coast or overshoot the desired position.
- Draws low current (0.16 A to 3.0 A). The low power consumption permits easy use with uninterruptible power supplies.
- Uses double-lipped, grease-sealed bearings for maintenance-free operation.
- And . . .Never overheats or burns-out; even under demanding modulating control or stalled conditions.
Digital Electronics: Repeatable Control, Simple Operation, and Diagnostic Capabilities
Our field-proven electronics provide excellent position control in response to modulating control signals. This maximizes control loop performance by ensuring that the actuator responds exactly as the control loop requires.
The DCM-3 is also equipped with a HART® communications interface to provide bidirectional digital communications over the existing analog demand wiring—providing access to the added functions and information without interfering with control or requiring new wiring. Communications can be established either remotely or locally using any standard HART®-based communication tool and is compatible with common asset management systems. Optionally, the DCM can be equipped with Foundation Fieldbus® or Profibus PA® communication capability.
Beck’s Contactless Position Sensor (CPS) also resides within the actuator, and provides reliable internal position feedback to the DCM for position control. The DCM also uses the sensor signal to source a 4–20 mA external position signal for remote monitoring of actuator position. Unlike typical position sensors, the CPS does not wear due to its contactless design.
Over-travel Limit Switches
Beck actuators include heavy-duty, single-pole, double-throw (SPDT) switch mechanisms for electrical over-travel protection. Switch cams will not slip because each is mounted to the shaft by an integral, tangential clamping means—with no set screws to mar the shaft.
Every actuator is equipped with two over-travel limit switches. Optionally, actuators can be equipped with up to four auxiliary switches that can be set to operate at any desired point of actuator travel, thus providing discrete inputs for control or indication.
Common throughout most Beck actuator models, the SPDT switches provide the following:
- A maximum rating of 6 A at 120 V ac (three times the maximum motor current for most models) to ensure long life.
- Auxiliary switches are field-adjustable with infinite positioning throughout the actuator’s travel range.
- May initiate secondary functions or provide remote indication of actuator position.
Drive Train: Power and Durability
Beck’s durable gear train maintains accurate, consistent positioning even under the demanding conditions of an active control loop.
- Gear trains employ a unique, all spur gear construction using only heat-treated alloy steels and ductile iron.
- Efficient, wide-faced spur gears ensure long life and eliminate wear-induced backlash and positioning inaccuracies common in worm gear and “Scotch-yoke” designs.
- Integral self-locking mechanism ensures that actuators hold a minimum of 200% of rated torque with the motor de-energized.
- Durable design provides up to 4 days of protection against intermittent or extended accidental stalls.
- Stall protection is provided by the DCM. If the motor tries to run in one direction for more than 300 seconds, the DCM-2 will shut off power to the motor and a status indication LED will activate indicating a stall.
Local Manual Control
Local Manual Control
All Beck actuators are built with local positioning capabilities. An electric Handswitch allows electrical local operation of the actuator, while a convenient Handwheel, or Handcrank on some high torque actuators, allows manual positioning of the actuator output shaft without electric power.
The electric Handswitch allows the actuator to be positioned locally and is very useful for the initial setup of the actuator and linkage. It also serves as a diagnostic tool or a backup control device in the event the loop controller or demand signal malfunctions.
Even in the absence of power, and with full load applied, the actuator output shaft can be manually positioned using the easy-to-turn, spoke-free Handwheel. No clutch mechanism is required and mechanical stops protect against manual overtravel.
Housing: Superior Protection and Convenient Access to Components
Beck actuators feature a cast aluminum body with individual compartments to protect components from moisture and dirt, and allow easy access for installation and calibration.
- Precision-machined aluminum alloy castings with corrosion-resistant polyurethane paint provide a rugged, dust-tight, weatherproof Type 4X enclosure.
- Individual compartments protect all major components: Motor, DCM-2, CPS, gear train and installation wiring terminal board.
- Gasketed covers provide extra protection for abusive indoor environments and harsh outdoor climates.
- Each compartment can be accessed without exposing other components to the environment.
- Output and Handwheel shafts are sealed with weatherproof, double-lip cartridge seals.
Linkage: Beck Linkage Kits and Link-Assist™ Program Ensure the Best Connection
The unique design of the crank arm allows infinite position adjustment to simplify installation. Engineered linkage kits are available to complete the connection from the crank arm to the damper. Once the connection is made, the linkage length may be adjusted, simplifying the final mechanical calibration. Also, Beck rod ends incorporate a bearing to compensate for some lateral misalignment.
Beck’s Link-Assist™ program provides a printout showing the optimum actuator and linkage configuration for the application. The linkage arrangement can be characterized to match the torque profile of the application. Request this free service to save time, simplify installation and ensure the best performance at the lowest possible cost.